0Day Forums
How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - Printable Version

+- 0Day Forums (https://0day.red)
+-- Forum: Coding (https://0day.red/Forum-Coding)
+--- Forum: Ruby (https://0day.red/Forum-Ruby)
+--- Thread: How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? (/Thread-How-do-I-redirect-back-to-a-page-I-39-m-currently-on)

How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - leisureness30203 - 07-19-2023

In my users photo album page they see photos they have uploaded and each photo has a 'make default' link on it.
When the user clicks `make default`, then the id of the photo is stored in the `photo_id` column of my profiles table.

The issue is redirecting them back to:

localhost:3000/settings/photo_gallery/:id

Is there a way I can redirect back to the photo album using the id of the photo that has just been set as the default? Can Rails find what album I want to redirect to just by looking at the id of a photo, as a photo belongs to a photo album, and a photo album has many photos?

I have the following tables in my database:

* User(s): has one profile, has many PhotoAlbums
* Profile(s): belongs to user
* PhotoAlbum(s): belongs to user, has many photos
* Photo(s): belongs to PhotoAlbum

Controller action:

def set_default_profile_photo

photo = Profile.find_by_user_id(current_user.id)
photo.photo_id = params[:photo_id]
photo.save

redirect_to "**HERE IS WHERE I'D LIKE TO REDIRECT TO THE PHOTOALBUM THE PHOTO IS IN**"
flash[:success] = "Default photo set!"

end

My routes:

users GET /users(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"users"}
POST /users(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"users"}
new_user GET /users/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"users"}
edit_user GET /users/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"users"}
user GET /users/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"users"}
PUT /users/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"users"}
DELETE /users/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"users"}
sessions GET /sessions(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"sessions"}
POST /sessions(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"sessions"}
new_session GET /sessions/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"sessions"}
edit_session GET /sessions/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"sessions"}
session GET /sessions/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"sessions"}
PUT /sessions/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"sessions"}
DELETE /sessions/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"sessions"}
passwords GET /passwords(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"passwords"}
POST /passwords(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"passwords"}
new_password GET /passwords/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"passwords"}
edit_password GET /passwords/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"passwords"}
password GET /passwords/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"passwords"}
PUT /passwords/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"passwords"}
DELETE /passwords/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"passwords"}
profiles GET /profiles(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"profiles"}
POST /profiles(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"profiles"}
new_profile GET /profiles/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"profiles"}
edit_profile GET /profiles/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"profiles"}
profile GET /profiles/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"profiles"}
PUT /profiles/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"profiles"}
DELETE /profiles/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"profiles"}
emails GET /emails(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"emails"}
POST /emails(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"emails"}
new_email GET /emails/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"emails"}
edit_email GET /emails/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"emails"}
email GET /emails/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"emails"}
PUT /emails/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"emails"}
DELETE /emails/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"emails"}
root / {:controller=>"users", :action=>"new"}
success /success(.:format) {:action=>"success", :controller=>"users"}
login /login(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"sessions"}
logout /logout(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"sessions"}
reset_password /reset_password(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"passwords"}
setup_new_password /setup_new_password(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"passwords"}
settings /settings(.:format) {:action=>"settings", :controller=>"users"}
settings_account /settings/account(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"account"}
settings_edit_profile /settings/edit_profile(.:format) {:controller=>"profiles", :action=>"edit_profile"}
/:username(.:format) {:controller=>"users", :action=>"show"}
change_password /change_password(.:format) {:action=>"change_password", :controller=>"users"}
profile_photo_set_default /profile_photo/set_default(.:format) {:controller=>"photo_albums", :action=>"set_default_profile_photo"}
album_photo_set_default /album_photo/set_default(.:format) {:controller=>"photo_albums", :action=>"set_default_album_photo"}
photo_albums GET /settings/photo_gallery(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
POST /settings/photo_gallery(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
new_photo_album GET /settings/photo_gallery/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
edit_photo_album GET /settings/photo_gallery/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
photo_album GET /settings/photo_gallery/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
PUT /settings/photo_gallery/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
DELETE /settings/photo_gallery/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"photo_albums"}
photos GET /settings/photo_gallery/photos(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"photos"}
POST /settings/photo_gallery/photos(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"photos"}
new_photo GET /settings/photo_gallery/photos/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"photos"}
edit_photo GET /settings/photo_gallery/photos/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"photos"}
photo GET /settings/photo_gallery/photos/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"photos"}
PUT /settings/photo_gallery/photos/:id(.:format) {:action=>"update", :controller=>"photos"}
DELETE /settings/photo_gallery/photos/:id(.:format) {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"photos"}

RE: How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - shortcut332 - 07-19-2023

In Rails 5 it was introduced the function:

redirect_back(fallback_location: root_path)

It does redirect back whenever the `HTTP_REFERER` is known. Otherwise it redirects to the `fallback_location`.

The `redirect_to :back` is deprecated and will be removed from Rails 5.1.

RE: How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - whick359386 - 07-19-2023

This is what you want:

redirect_to request.referrer

For further reference:

[To see links please register here]

RE: How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - faustokbzwzmhrk - 07-19-2023

`redirect_to :back` worked for me but I want to see if this was the right choice

[To see links please register here]

RE: How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - backcasts694661 - 07-19-2023

If you came from the photo_album page, you should be able to do:

redirect_to :back

Otherwise, you should be able to do a named route like:

redirect_to photo_album_path(photo.album_id) # or whatever the association key is

BTW, why do you have photo_albums mapping to photo_galleries? It's a lot less confusing if you named your resources and routes in a similiar manner. ie: if you wanted your route endpoints to use /photo_galleries you should name your resource PhotoGallery.

RE: How do I redirect back to a page I'm currently on? - derrick644 - 07-19-2023

In one project we used the session for temporary storage, because `redirect_to :back` did not work for us.
We had an `def new` where we set `session[:return_to] = request.referer`
in the `def create` we added `redirect_to session[:return_to]`.
I do not know anymore, why we could not use `redirect_to :back`