Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 389 Vote(s) - 3.44 Average
x86 assembly programming loops with ecx and loop instruction versus jmp + j<condition>

i'm currently learning x86 assembly language and wondered what is the better way for implementing loops. One way would be to mov a value to ecx register and use the loop instruction and the other way would be using a jmp instruction and then comes the loop body and then a conditional jumping eventually to the beginning of the loop body. I guess the first one will has a better readability but other then that i don't know why to use it.

When you mention jmp+body+test, I believe you are talking about the translation of a `while` loop in high-level languages. There is a reason for the second approach. Let's take a look.

Consider

x = N
while (x != 0) {
BODY
x--
}

The naive way is

mov ecx, N ; store var x in ecx register
top:
cmp ecx, 0 ; test at top of loop
je bottom ; loop exit when while condition false
BODY
dec ecx
jmp top
bottom:

This has N conditional jumps and N unconditional jumps.

The second way is:

mov ecx, N
jmp bottom
top:
BODY
dec ecx
bottom:
cmp ecx, 0
jne top

Now we still do N conditional jumps but we only do ONE unconditional jump. A small savings but it just might matter, especially because it is in a loop.

Now you did mention the `loop` instruction which is essentially

dec ecx
cmp ecx, 0
je somewhere

How would you work that in? Probably like this:

mov ecx, N
cmp ecx, 0 ; Must guard against N==0
je bottom
top:
BODY
loop top ; built-in dec, test, and jump if not zero
bottom:

This is a pretty little solution typical of CISC processors. Is it faster than the second way above? That depends a great deal on the architecture. I suggest you do some research on the performance of the `loop` instruction in the IA-32 and Intel 64 processor architectures, if you really want to know more.