Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 148 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
X86 Assembly Instruction Pointer Addressing

I normally don't spend much time reading assembly, so the following compiler output confused me a little.

Say I compile this piece of C code on my Intel Core 2 Duo running OSX 10.6:

while (var != 69) // var is a global variable
{
printf("Looping!\n");
}

The assembly for the "var != 69" comparison looks like:

cmpl $69, _var(%rip)

I understand that it effectively means to compare the value "69" against the contents of the global variable "var", but I'm having a tough time understanding the "_var(%rip)" part. Normally, I expect there to be a offset value, like for referring to local variables in the stack (eg: -4($ebp)). However, I don't quite following how offsetting the instruction pointer with the "_var" declaration will give me the contents of the global variable "var".

What exactly does that line mean?

Thanks.

This works very nearly the same as addressing local variables in the stack with `offset(%ebp)`. In this case, the linker will set the offset field of that instruction to the *difference* between the address of `var`, and the value that `%rip` will have when that instruction executes. (If I remember correctly, that value is the address of the *next* instruction, because `%rip` always points to the instruction *after* the one currently executing.) The addition thus gives the address of `var`.

Why do it this way? This is a hallmark of [*position-independent code*](

[To see links please register here]

). If the compiler had generated

cmpl $69, _var

and the linker had filled in the absolute address of `var`, then when you *ran* the program, the executable image would always have to be loaded into memory at one specific address, so that all the variables had the absolute addresses that the code expects. By doing it this way, the only thing that has to be fixed is the *distance* between the code and the data; the code plus data (i.e. the complete executable image) can be loaded at any address and it'll still work.

... Why bother? Why is it bad to have to load an executable at one specific address? It isn't, necessarily. Shared libraries have to be position-independent, because otherwise you might have two libraries that wanted to be loaded at overlapping addresses and you couldn't use both of them in the same program. (Some systems have dealt with this by keeping a global registry of all libraries and the space they require, but obviously this does not scale.) Making *executables* position-independent is largely done as a security measure: it's somewhat harder to exploit a buffer overflow if you don't know where the program's code is in memory (this is called [address space layout randomization](

[To see links please register here]

)).