Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 382 Vote(s) - 3.58 Average
Why no love for SQL?

> I've heard a lot lately that SQL is a terrible language, and it seems that every framework under the sun comes pre-packaged with a database abstraction layer.

Note that these layers just convert their own stuff into `SQL`. For most database vendors `SQL` is the only way to communicate with the engine.

> In my experience though, SQL is often the much easier, more versatile, and more programmer-friendly way to manage data input and output. Every abstraction layer I've used seems to be a markedly limited approach with no real benefit.

… reason for which I just described above.

The database layers don't *add* anything, they just *limit* you. They make the queries disputably more simple but never more efficient.

By definition, there is nothing in the database layers that is not in `SQL`.

> What makes `SQL` so terrible, and why are database abstraction layers valuable?

`SQL` is a nice language, however, it takes some brain twist to work with it.

In theory, `SQL` is declarative, that is you declare what you want to get and the engine provides it in the fastest way possible.

In practice, there are many ways to formulate a correct query (that is the query that return correct results).

The optimizers are able to build a Lego castle out of some predefined algorithms (yes, they are multiple), but they just cannot make new algorithms. It still takes an `SQL` developer to assist them.

However, some people expect the optimizer to produce "the best plan possible", not "the best plan available for this query with given implementation of the `SQL` engine".

And as we all know, when the computer program does not meet people's expectations, it's the program that gets blamed, not the expectations.

In most cases, however, reformulating a query can produce a best plan possible indeed. There are tasks when it's impossible, however, with the new and growing improvements to `SQL` these cases get fewer and fewer in number.

It would be nice, though, if the vendors provided some low-level access to the functions like "get the index range", "get a row by the `rowid`" etc., like `C` compilers let you to embed the assembly right into the language.

I recenty wrote an article on this in my blog:

* [**Double-thinking in SQL**][1]

[1]:

[To see links please register here]