Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 516 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
Why does NULL = NULL evaluate to false in SQL server

There are two sensible ways to handle NULL = NULL comparisons in a WHERE clause, and they boil down to "What do you mean by NULL?" One way assumes NULL means "unknown," and the other assumes NULL means "data does not exist." SQL has chosen a third way which is wrong all around.

**The "NULL means unknown" solution:** _Throw an error._

Unknown = unknown should evaluate to 3VL null. But the output of a WHERE clause is 2VL: You either return the row or you don't. It's like being asked to divide by zero and return a number: There is no correct response. So you throw an error instead, and force the programmer to explicitly handle this situation.

**The "NULL means no data" solution:** _Return the row._

No data = no data should evaluate to true. If I'm comparing two people, and they have the same first name, and the same last name, and neither has a middle name, then it is correct to say "These people have the same name."

**The SQL solution:** _Don't return the row._

This is _always wrong_. If NULL means "unknown," then you don't know if the row should be returned or not, and you should not try to guess. If NULL means "no data," then you should return the row. Either way, silently removing the row is incorrect and will cause problems. It's the worst of both worlds.

Setting aside theory and speaking in practical terms, I'm with AlexDev: I have almost never encountered a case where "return the row" was not the desired result. However, "almost never" is not "never," and SQL databases often serve as the backbones of big important systems, so I can see a fair case for being rigorous and throwing an error.

What I cannot see is a case for silently coercing 3VL null into 2VL false. Like most silent type coercions, it's a rabid weasel waiting to be set loose in your system, and when the weasel finally jumps out and bites someone, you'll have the merry devil of a time tracking it back to its nest.