Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 388 Vote(s) - 3.46 Average
When should I use semicolons in SQL Server?

According to [Transact-SQL Syntax Conventions (Transact-SQL)][1] (MSDN)

> Transact-SQL statement terminator. Although the semicolon is not required for most statements in this version of SQL Server, it will be required in a future version.

(also see @gerryLowry 's comment)

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

If you like getting random *Command Timeout* errors in SQLServer then leave off the semi-colon at the end of your CommandText strings.

I don't know if this is documented anywhere or if it is a bug, but it does happen and I have learnt this from bitter experience.

I have verifiable and reproducible examples using SQLServer 2008.

aka -> *In practice, always include the terminator even if you're just sending one statement to the database.*

It appears that semicolons should not be used in conjunction with cursor operations: `OPEN`, `FETCH`, `CLOSE` and `DEALLOCATE`. I just wasted a couple of hours with this. I had a close look at the BOL and noticed that [;] is not shown in the syntax for these cursor statements!!

So I had:

OPEN mycursor;

and this gave me error 16916.

But:

OPEN mycursor

worked.

You **must** use it.

> The practice of using a semicolon to terminate statements is standard and in fact is a requirement
in several other database platforms. SQL Server requires the semicolon only in particular
cases—but in cases where a semicolon is not required, using one doesn’t cause problems.
I strongly recommend that you adopt the practice of terminating all statements with a semicolon.
Not only will doing this improve the readability of your code, but in some cases it can
save you some grief. (When a semicolon is required and is not specified, the error message SQL
Server produces is not always very clear.)

And most important:

> The SQL Server documentation indicates that not terminating T-SQL statements with
a semicolon is a deprecated feature. This means that the long-term goal is to enforce use
of the semicolon in a future version of the product. That’s one more reason to get into the
habit of terminating all of your statements, even where it’s currently not required.

Source: *Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Fundamentals* by Itzik Ben-Gan.

--------------

An example of why you always must use `;` are the following two queries (copied from this [post][1]):

BEGIN TRY
BEGIN TRAN
SELECT 1/0 AS CauseAnException
COMMIT
END TRY
BEGIN CATCH
SELECT ERROR_MESSAGE()
THROW
END CATCH

![enter image description here][2]

BEGIN TRY
BEGIN TRAN