Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 400 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
Scream for help with a WiFi Printer

I have recently just got myself a printer which has wireless capabilities. The only issue is, the way in which I'm supposed to connect to it, is by using the WPS button on a router... I don't have access to the router for this building and have no way to gain access either.

I was googling and found some suggestions about a way in which I could set up an access point on my laptop. However, I'm no techno girl so I have no clue what it was saying for the most part. Is there anyone who can assist me on how to do this?

Jargon busting can only go so far for me... I'm still a little lost. Once I know what I'm doing I'll do it myself.

I am able to use the USB cable at the moment, but it's a hassle and I want to try and connect wirelessly.

Thanks in advance if anyone can/will help!

Sorry - I'm really not looking to buy one. It's not that I don't have a router. It's just University owned and the routers are based in other peoples dorms and we're not allowed to touch them. I don't want to buy anything further.

This is what I found online.. But it goes over the top of my head..

"he printer has wireless capability, right? If not, you'd need a wireless print server for this, but you mentioned "wireless printer," so I'll go on as if it is.

There are two types of topologies (ways to organize) wireless networks: ad-hoc and infrastructure. If you have a wireless access point (WAP) involved - either a standalone WAP or one built into a router - you are using infrastructure. The WAP acts as a director for the network. Without a WAP, two wireless devices can still talk in ad-hoc (aka peer-to-peer) mode, but there are things the router would have done for you that you will now need to do for yourself.

The first thing you will need to do is to make sure the printer supports ad-hoc mode and set it to such. (It probably does.) You will need to set up a new wireless connection profile on your laptop to use ad-hoc as well. On both the printer and the laptop, set up matching SSIDs (the name of the wireless network to attach to - normally transmitted by the WAP), encryption types (WEP-64, WPA, etc; use the best that both the printer and laptop have; WPA/WPA2 preferably) and encryption keys. All items must match exactly. You may want to set up the channel used as well (from 1 to 11 in the US).

One additional item is that without a router to offer a DHCP service to hand out IP addresses, you will need to set static IP addresses on both the printer and the computer. You might set the computer to 192.168.3.2 and the printer to 192.168.3.3, for example, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0. (Gateway and DNS info won't matter.) The two must have the same starting octets (e.g., 192.168.3). and different last octets (e.g., .2 or .3). Do not use 0 or 255 as the last octet. They are for special purposes on a network. "

If you don't want a router, get a wifi repeater with the WPS button.
Ex.

[To see links please register here]

A wifi repeater is only like $10, and seems to be the easiest way. If money is an issue, I'm sure one of the lovely leet con artists here can SE you one.

So how's that work? And I'd still need to wait for delivery xD (I'm lazy huh :wink: ) If it comes to that, I'll probably do that after xmas. Money isn't a problem, I'd just rather not spend money on something I can use without the WiFi option.

You could always ask head of the IT-dept. for assistance, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you ^^

Quote:(12-01-2013, 12:03 AM)cressi97 Wrote:

You could always ask head of the IT-dept. for assistance, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you ^^

Erm the IT department don't deal with accommodation... In all honesty I don't even know where the IT department are based. I might be able to ask the people in the creative hub (mac rooms and such). However, they would most likely only know the usual processes rather than my situation...

It's ok guys, tis all sorted now! (No need to buy anything extra! Woo!)

Quote:(12-01-2013, 12:54 AM)Jiggly Wrote:

Erm the IT department don't deal with accommodation... In all honesty I don't even know where the IT department are based.

I see, that sucks :tongue:

Glad it worked out, anyways ^^