Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 360 Vote(s) - 3.45 Average
Why does Ruby open-uri's open return a StringIO in my unit test, but a FileIO in my controller?

I inherited a Rails 2.2.2 app that stores user-uploaded images on Amazon S3. The attachment_fu-based `Photo` model offers a `rotate` method that uses `open-uri` to retrieve the image from S3 and MiniMagick to perform the rotation.

The `rotate` method contains this line to retrieve the image for use with MiniMagick:

temp_image = MiniMagick::Image.from_file(open(self.public_filename).path)

`self.public_filename` returns something like

[To see links please register here]

Retrieving the image and rotating it work just fine in the running application in production and development. However, the unit test fails with

TypeError: can't convert nil into String
/Users/santry/Development/totspot/vendor/gems/mini_magick-1.2.3/lib/mini_magick.rb:34:in `initialize'
/Users/santry/Development/totspot/vendor/gems/mini_magick-1.2.3/lib/mini_magick.rb:34:in `open'
/Users/santry/Development/totspot/vendor/gems/mini_magick-1.2.3/lib/mini_magick.rb:34:in `from_file'

The reason is that when the model method is called in the context of the unit test, `open(self.public_filename)` is returning a `StringIO` object that contains the image data. The `path` method on this object returns `nil` and `MiniMagick::Image.from_file` blows up.

When this very same model method is called from the `PhotosController`, `open(self.public_filename)` returns a `FileIO` instance tied to a file named, eg, `/tmp/open-uri7378-0` and the file contains the image data.

Thinking the cause must be some environmental difference between test and development, I fired up the console under the development environment. But just as in the unit test, `open('http://...')` returned a `StringIO`, _not_ a `FileIO`.

I've traced my way through open-uri and all the relevant application-specific code and can find no reason for the difference.

Now `OpenURI::Buffer::StringMax` can be set directly:

```
require 'open-uri'
OpenURI::Buffer::StringMax = 0
```

but with a warning:

```
warning: already initialized constant OpenURI::Buffer::StringMax
```

The code responsible for this is in the Buffer class in open-uri. It starts by creating a StringIO object and only creates an actual temp file in the local filesystem when the data exceeds a certain size (10 KB).

I assume that whatever data your test is loading is small enough to be held in a StringIO and the images you are using in the actual application are large enough to warrant a TempFile. The solution is to use methods which are common to both classes, in particular the read method, with MiniMagick::Image#from_blob:

temp_image = MiniMagick::Image.from_blob(open(self.public_filename, &:read))

The open-uri library uses a constant to set the 10KB size limit for StringIO objects.

> OpenURI::Buffer::StringMax
=> 10240

You can change this setting to 0 to prevent open-uri from ever creating a StringIO object. Instead, this will force it to always generate a temp file.

Just throw this in an initializer:

# Don't allow downloaded files to be created as StringIO. Force a tempfile to be created.
require 'open-uri'
OpenURI::Buffer.send :remove_const, 'StringMax' if OpenURI::Buffer.const_defined?('StringMax')
OpenURI::Buffer.const_set 'StringMax', 0

You can't just set the constant directly. You need to actually remove the constant and then set it again (as above), otherwise you'll get a warning:

warning: already initialized constant StringMax

**UPDATED 12/18/2012**: Rails 3 doesn't require OpenURI by default, so you need to add `require 'open-uri'` at the top of the initializer. I updated the code above to reflect that change.