Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 479 Vote(s) - 3.51 Average
MIPS - A Discussion

So this semester I'm learning about MIPS Assembly coding and the architecture of MIPS and I was wondering if anyone else here had any experience? What should I expect and most importantly, I know Playstation uses MIPS... is there any fun with that?

Well, for you, MIPS is most likely being taught as the elemental RISC architecture processor due to the fact that it was one of the first lucrative RISC processors. On top of that, MIPS is easy to learn and once you learn it, it's simple to approach more difficult RISC instruction-based processors such as ARM, Alpha, and etc. MIPS is still present to this day. I believe the MIPS64 I-Class is the latest version of the processor. There's that and there's also those new MIPS processors such as the R14K and R16K, based on the R10K architecture.

A LOT of devices use MIPS, it's like a somewhat older and less popular version of ARM. I like their register layout. OpenRISC and RISC-V are inspired by MIPS, so there's something else. ARM has some nice advantages over MIPS, but I still like MIPS.

Hidden Content
You must

[To see links please register here]

or

to view this content.

Quote:(04-12-2018, 11:22 PM)Ender Wrote:

A LOT of devices use MIPS, it's like a somewhat older and less popular version of ARM. I like their register layout. OpenRISC and RISC-V are inspired by MIPS, so there's something else. ARM has some nice advantages over MIPS, but I still like MIPS.

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Then you're gonna love SPARCv9 :tongue: (it's RISC-V). I don't particularly dislike MIPS, I just don't really see a point for it to still exist with the strides that ARM, Oracle, and Apple have made respectively for RISC. If it wasn't for the stupidity of v8-A I'd be calling any non-ARM programmer a moron. I have been looking into MIPS though, unfortunately I'll never have a practical use for it (everything I use is either Apple/ARM or SPARC), so learning it isn't really a priority for me. I had a prof in college that made up his own assembly language that was a hybrid between MIPS and ARM (v4-T) for a hacking assignment, which was interesting. One thing I hate about MIPS is its weird pipeline that ends up creating the monster that is the delayed branch.... not like Apple's pipeline is any better (i mean come on, there is no reason to have a 13-stage pipeline).

Quote:(04-13-2018, 10:38 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

Quote: (04-12-2018, 11:22 PM)Ender Wrote:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Then you're gonna love SPARCv9 :tongue: (it's RISC-V). I don't particularly dislike MIPS, I just don't really see a point for it to still exist with the strides that ARM, Oracle, and Apple have made respectively for RISC. If it wasn't for the stupidity of v8-A I'd be calling any non-ARM programmer a moron. I have been looking into MIPS though, unfortunately I'll never have a practical use for it (everything I use is either Apple/ARM or SPARC), so learning it isn't really a priority for me. I had a prof in college that made up his own assembly language that was a hybrid between MIPS and ARM (v4-T) for a hacking assignment, which was interesting. One thing I hate about MIPS is its weird pipeline that ends up creating the monster that is the delayed branch.... not like Apple's pipeline is any better (i mean come on, there is no reason to have a 13-stage pipeline).

I never actually said I liked RISC-V, just mentioned it.
It's just down to preference really, some people prefer MIPS so it still exists. I haven't looked into the pipeline yet, but that reminds me that some Intel CPUs have a 24 stage pipeline...

Quote:(04-13-2018, 08:46 PM)Ender Wrote:

Quote: (04-13-2018, 10:38 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

Quote: (04-12-2018, 11:22 PM)Ender Wrote:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

I never actually said I liked RISC-V, just mentioned it.
It's just down to preference really, some people prefer MIPS so it still exists. I haven't looked into the pipeline yet, but that reminds me that some Intel CPUs have a 24 stage pipeline...

That was the point I was trying to make when I was yelling at apple about their latest arch pipeline, that's starting to creep into Pentium territory (I think those had 40-ish stages)