Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 906 Vote(s) - 3.46 Average
How to find the local port a rails instance is running on?

So I would like my Rails app instances to register themselves on a "I'm up" kind of thing I'm playing with, and I'd like it to be able to mention what local port it's running on. I can't seem to find how to do it - in fact just finding out its IP is tricky and needs a bit of a hack.

But no problem, I have the IP - but how can I find what port my mongrel/thin/webrick server is running on?

To be super explicit, if I start a rails app using script/server -p 3001, what can I do to pull that 3001 inside the app.

Building on the other answers (which saved my bacon!), I expanded this to give sane fallbacks:

In development:

port = Rails::Server::Options.new.parse!(ARGV)[:Port] || 3000 rescue 3000

In all other env's:

port = Rails::Server::Options.new.parse!(ARGV)[:Port] || 80 rescue 80

The `rescue 80` covers you if you're running `rails console`. Otherwise, it raises `NameError: uninitialized constant Rails::Server`. (Maybe also early in initializers? I forget...)

The `|| 80` covers you if no -p option is given to server. Otherwise you get nil.

I played around with this a bit, and this might be the best solution for Rails 5.1:

Rails::Server::Options.new.parse!(ARGV)[:Port]

For Rails 5.1 development server.

if Rack::Server.new.options[:Port] != 9292 # rals s -p PORT
local_port = Rack::Server.new.options[:Port]
else
local_port = (ENV['PORT'] || '3000').to_i # ENV['PORT'] for foreman
end

**Two ways.**

If you're responding to a request in a controller or view, use the request object:

request.port

If you're in an initialiser and don't have access to the request object use the server options hash:

Rails::Server.new.options[:Port]

You can call `Rails::Server.new.options[:Port]` to get the port that your Rails server is running on. This will parse the `-p 3001` args from your `rails server` command, or default to port `3000`.

From inside any controller action, check the content of *request.port*, thus:

class SomeController < ApplicationController
def some_action
raise "I'm running on port #{request.port}."
end
end