Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 673 Vote(s) - 3.42 Average
How do I check if a SQL Server text column is empty?

I am using SQL Server 2005. I have a table with a text column and I have many rows in the table where the value of this column is not null, but it is empty. Trying to compare against '' yields this response:

>The data types text and varchar are incompatible in the not equal to operator.

Is there a special function to determine whether the value of a text column is not null but empty?

I would test against [SUBSTRING][1](textColumn, 0, 1)

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

Actually, you just have to use the LIKE operator.

SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE mytextfield LIKE ''

Are null and an empty string equivalent? If they are, I would include logic in my application (or maybe a trigger if the app is "out-of-the-box"?) to force the field to be either null or '', but not the other. If you went with '', then you could set the column to NOT NULL as well. Just a data-cleanliness thing.

ISNULL(
case textcolum1
WHEN '' THEN NULL
ELSE textcolum1
END
,textcolum2) textcolum1

I wanted to have a predefined text("No Labs Available") to be displayed if the value was null or empty and my friend helped me with this:

StrengthInfo = CASE WHEN ((SELECT COUNT(UnitsOrdered) FROM [Data_Sub_orders].[dbo].[Snappy_Orders_Sub] WHERE IdPatient = @PatientId and IdDrugService = 226)> 0)
THEN cast((S.UnitsOrdered) as varchar(50))
ELSE 'No Labs Available'
END

where datalength(mytextfield)=0

I know this post is ancient but, I found it useful.

It didn't resolve my issue of returning the record with a non empty text field so I thought I would add my solution.

This is the where clause that worked for me.

WHERE xyz LIKE CAST('% %' as text)

You have to do both:

`SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Text IS NULL or Text LIKE ''`

Use the IS NULL operator:

Select * from tb_Employee where ename is null