Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 420 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
Data binding to SelectedItem in a WPF Treeview

How can I retrieve the item that is selected in a WPF-treeview? I want to do this in XAML, because I want to bind it.

You might think that it is `SelectedItem` but apparently that <s>does not exist</s> is readonly and therefore unusable.

This is what I want to do:

<TreeView ItemsSource="{Binding Path=Model.Clusters}"
ItemTemplate="{StaticResource ClusterTemplate}"
SelectedItem="{Binding Path=Model.SelectedCluster}" />

I want to bind the `SelectedItem` to a property on my Model.

But this gives me the error:

> 'SelectedItem' property is read-only and cannot be set from markup.

**Edit:**
Ok, this is the way that I solved this:

<TreeView
ItemsSource="{Binding Path=Model.Clusters}"
ItemTemplate="{StaticResource HoofdCLusterTemplate}"
SelectedItemChanged="TreeView_OnSelectedItemChanged" />

and in the codebehindfile of my xaml:

private void TreeView_OnSelectedItemChanged(object sender, RoutedPropertyChangedEventArgs<object> e)
{
Model.SelectedCluster = (Cluster)e.NewValue;
}

This property exists : [TreeView.SelectedItem][1]

But it is readonly, so you cannot assign it through a binding, only retrieve it

[1]:

[To see links please register here]

You might also be able to use TreeViewItem.IsSelected property

This can be accomplished in a 'nicer' way using only binding and the GalaSoft MVVM Light library's EventToCommand. In your VM add a command which will be called when the selected item is changed, and initialize the command to perform whatever action is necessary. In this example I used a RelayCommand<Cluster> and will just set the SelectedCluster property.

public class ViewModel
{
public ViewModel()
{
SelectedClusterChanged = new RelayCommand<Cluster>( c => SelectedCluster = c );
}

public RelayCommand<Cluster> SelectedClusterChanged { get; private set; }

public Cluster SelectedCluster { get; private set; }
}

Then add the EventToCommand behavior in your xaml. This is really easy using blend.

<TreeView
x:Name="lstClusters"
ItemsSource="{Binding Path=Model.Clusters}"
ItemTemplate="{StaticResource HoofdCLusterTemplate}">
<i:Interaction.Triggers>
<i:EventTrigger EventName="SelectedItemChanged">
<GalaSoft_MvvmLight_Command:EventToCommand Command="{Binding SelectedClusterChanged}" CommandParameter="{Binding ElementName=lstClusters,Path=SelectedValue}"/>
</i:EventTrigger>
</i:Interaction.Triggers>
</TreeView>

I came across this page looking for the same answer as the original author, and proving there's always more than one way to do it, the solution for me was even easier than the answers provided here so far, so I figured I might as well add to the pile.

The motivation for the binding is to keep it nice & MVVM. The probable usage of the ViewModel is to have a property w/ a name such as "CurrentThingy", and somewhere else, the DataContext on some other thing is bound to "CurrentThingy".

Rather than going through additional steps required (eg: custom behavior, 3rd party control) to support a nice binding from the TreeView to my Model, and then from something else to my Model, my solution was to use simple Element binding the other thing to TreeView.SelectedItem, rather than binding the other thing to my ViewModel, thereby skipping the extra work required.

XAML:

<TreeView x:Name="myTreeView" ItemsSource="{Binding MyThingyCollection}">
.... stuff
</TreeView>

<!-- then.. somewhere else where I want to see the currently selected TreeView item: -->

<local:MyThingyDetailsView
DataContext="{Binding ElementName=myTreeView, Path=SelectedItem}" />

Of course, this is great for reading the currently selected item, but not setting it, which is all I needed.

I suggest an addition to the behavior provided by Steve Greatrex. His behavior doesn't reflects changes from the source because it may not be a collection of TreeViewItems.
So it is a matter of finding the TreeViewItem in the tree which datacontext is the selectedValue from the source.
The TreeView has a protected property called "ItemsHost", which holds the TreeViewItem collection. We can get it through reflection and walk the tree searching for the selected item.

private static void OnSelectedItemChanged(DependencyObject sender, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
{
var behavior = sender as BindableSelectedItemBehaviour;

if (behavior == null) return;

var tree = behavior.AssociatedObject;

if (tree == null) return;

if (e.NewValue == null)
foreach (var item in tree.Items.OfType<TreeViewItem>())
item.SetValue(TreeViewItem.IsSelectedProperty, false);

var treeViewItem = e.NewValue as TreeViewItem;
if (treeViewItem != null)
{
treeViewItem.SetValue(TreeViewItem.IsSelectedProperty, true);
}
else
{
var itemsHostProperty = tree.GetType().GetProperty("ItemsHost", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance);

if (itemsHostProperty == null) return;

var itemsHost = itemsHostProperty.GetValue(tree, null) as Panel;

if (itemsHost == null) return;

foreach (var item in itemsHost.Children.OfType<TreeViewItem>())
if (WalkTreeViewItem(item, e.NewValue)) break;
}
}

public static bool WalkTreeViewItem(TreeViewItem treeViewItem, object selectedValue) {
if (treeViewItem.DataContext == selectedValue)
{
treeViewItem.SetValue(TreeViewItem.IsSelectedProperty, true);
treeViewItem.Focus();
return true;
}

foreach (var item in treeViewItem.Items.OfType<TreeViewItem>())
if (WalkTreeViewItem(item, selectedValue)) return true;

return false;
}

This way the behavior works for two-way bindings. Alternatively, it is possible to move the ItemsHost acquisition to the Behavior's OnAttached method, saving the overhead of using reflection every time the binding updates.