Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 460 Vote(s) - 3.52 Average
Is recursion possible in a static function?

Is it possible to write a recursive static function in C?

#include <stdio.h>

static void count_to_five(void)
{
static int i = 0;

while (i < 5) {
i++;
printf("%d\n", i);
count_to_five();
}

puts("You are seeing this because I counted to five! (did not enter loop)\n");
return;
}

int main(void)
{
count_to_five();
return 0;
}

So, yes. Note, static storage for `i` means it retains its value with each call of `count_to_five()`. However, `count_to_five()` need not be defined as `static`.

Its very hard to tell what you're asking.

Yes, it most certainly is. When you apply `static` to a function, it's not the same as a static variable within a recursive function (which *is* a problem if it's used in the calculations).

When applied to a function (or an object outside of a function), `static` simply controls whether that thing is visible outside the compilation unit (for the linker, for example).

When applied to an object *within* a function, `static` means that the variable exists beyond the duration of the function. In the context of a recursive function, it also means that there is only *one* copy of the variable for *all* recursion levels rather than *one per recursion level,* which is usually what's needed.

So this (what your question appears to be asking about) is perfectly okay:

static unsigned int fact (unsigned int n) {
if (n == 1U) return 1;
return n * fact (n-1);
}

This, on the other foot, is *not* okay, since the *single* copy of the static variable will probably be corrupted by the lower recursive layers.

static unsigned int local_n;
local_n = n;
if (local_n == 1U) return 1;
return fact (local_n - 1) * local_n;
}

In more detail, consider a call to `fact(3)`:

- In the first recursive layer, `local_n` is set to `3`, then a call is made to `fact(2)`.
- In the second layer, `local_n` is set to `2`, and a call is made to `fact(1)`.
- In the third layer, `local_n` is set to `1`, and we just return `1` because that's the base case of the recursion.

That's when things seem to start going wrong (although, technically, they started going wrong as soon as we typed in that `static` keyword for the `local_n` declarator):

- Back up into the second layer, we receive the `1` and multiply it by `local_n`. Now, had that variable *not* been static, it would have the (local) value of `2`. Unfortunately, it *is* static, so was set to `1` in the previous step. Hence we return `1 * 1` or, ... hang on, let me check this on the calculator ..., `1` :-)
- Ditto coming back up to the first layer, we receive the `1` and multiply it by `local_n` which, of course, still has the value `1`. So we again multiply `1 * 1` and return `1`.

If you want to try it out, here's a complete program:

#include <stdio.h>

static unsigned int local_n; // bad idea!
local_n = n;
if (local_n == 1U) return 1;
return fact (local_n - 1) * local_n;
}

int main() {
printf("%d\n", fact(3));
return 0;
}

That outputs the erroneous `1` but, if you get rid of the `static` keyword in the `local_n` declarator, it will return the correct `6`.