Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 291 Vote(s) - 3.55 Average
[MyBB] Improved password encryption.

The real question is why not adopt something like what Linux does with its passwords? (

[To see links please register here]

) and use multiple methods. The method is chosen randomly and NOT included in the password hash, but in a separate field. That way, not only would you need a relational dump but also would need to decipher the algorithm type (and implement it user-defined in MyBB, forcing a complete brute force on password hashes). Hash them 32 times using combinations of the hashing methods.... like maybe md5(bcrypt(bcrypt(salt.password)))

Quote:(06-18-2015, 01:47 PM)Vertigo Wrote:

Sorry I went full autism.

No, it's okay. Your post was actually constructive.

Quote:(06-20-2015, 01:02 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

The real question is why not adopt something like what Linux does with its passwords? (

) and use multiple methods. The method is chosen randomly and NOT included in the password hash, but in a separate field. That way, not only would you need a relational dump but also would need to decipher the algorithm type (and implement it user-defined in MyBB, forcing a complete brute force on password hashes). Hash them 32 times using combinations of the hashing methods.... like maybe md5(bcrypt(bcrypt(salt.password)))

I could probably make an example script for that, it would be interesting to say the least.

Quote:(06-20-2015, 01:45 AM)Vertigo Wrote:

I could probably make an example script for that, it would be interesting to say the least.

I encourage that. If you wrote one I could probably see if I can improve it in a way, and maybe we could even write a MyBB plugin for it.

Actually, here is an implementation of single hashing with multi order that is configurable.

PHP Code:
<?php
/*
hashes available:
 1. md5
 2. sha1
 3. crc32
 4. sha256
configure with the following:
 0x1 => hash #1
 0x2 => hash #2
 0x4 => hash #3
 0x8 => hash #4
4 hashes are used, they create a 16-bit
hash order. Example:
0x4421 produces (in order)
hash #1 (default MD5)
hash #2 (default SHA-1)
hash #4 (default SHA-256)
hash #4 (default SHA-256)
*/

$hashes = array("md5"   => 0x1,

"sha1"  => 0x2,

"crc32" => 0x4,

"sha256"=> 0x8);
function 
generate_order($order)
{

$ret = array();
        for (
$i 0$i <= 12$i += 4)

array_push($ret, ($order >> $i) & 0xF);
        return 
$ret;
}
function 
generate_hash($str$salt$order)
{
        global 
$hashes;

$ret $salt $str;

$ord generate_order($order);
        foreach (
$ord as $d)
                foreach (
$hashes as $key => $val)
                        if (
$val == $d)

$ret hash($key$retfalse);
        return 
$ret;
}

echo 
generate_hash("test""blarg"0x8421) . "\n";
?>

Quote:(06-20-2015, 02:22 AM)phyrrus9 Wrote:

I encourage that. If you wrote one I could probably see if I can improve it in a way, and maybe we could even write a MyBB plugin for it.

I can't do MyBB, as I am not to familiar with it.

Quote:(06-20-2015, 04:19 AM)Vertigo Wrote:

I can't do MyBB, as I am not to familiar with it.

Well, show me what you got either way.

I've done Bcrypt for my forum, I'll write a tutorial on how to do that; guess you can use that as a starting point.

Quote:(06-20-2015, 08:42 AM)Kitsune Wrote:

I've done Bcrypt for my forum, I'll write a tutorial on how to do that; guess you can use that as a starting point.
I'm very interested in reading that if you ever decide to write one.

Quote:(10-28-2013, 04:38 AM)Poochy Wrote:

This makes it exceedingly difficult for an attacker to decrypt the password hashes on your forum. I recommend doing this while you have a small amount of members on your forum.

First up, open inc/functions_user.php in your favourite text editor, search for the following function.
PHP Code:
function salt_password($password$salt)
{
    return 
md5(md5($salt).$password);

Come up with a random 5 character long combination of letters and numbers, I'm going to use 3g45h in the example.

Modify the above function so that it looks like this:
PHP Code:
function salt_password($password$salt)
{
    return 
md5(md5(md5($salt).$password)."3g45h");

It may seem a little overboard, but the security of your members passwords is the most important thing.

Open PHPMyAdmin and navigate to your mybb_users table, manually update each users password, by following the next step.
Open

then enter the users current password hash, with your 5 random characters at the end.

For example.

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Becomes

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Click "Calculate MD5".

Copy the new hash and replace the users old password.

Upload your modified functions_user.php to your server.

Now if an attacker attempts to crack the hashes, it's useless unless they know your 5 random characters.
This would work unless the attacker is skilled, which by guessing the people that hack forums i would said this would work very well, thanks for sharing!

Would this work when the hash method is already changed?

Meh, gues I will have to ask him myself