Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 465 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
C++ basics part 1

Quote:(09-19-2013, 03:54 AM)Cyanide and Cynicism Wrote:

[To see links please register here]

Because it looks gross.

You read where I said it was preference correct? Other than that, all you did was move a "*/" to a new line, yours compared to his is no different. If you care about such minute detail in comments, as opposed to the quality or succinctness of the code itself, you are probably looking at programming the wrong way.

No, form is pretty important when you're working with a team of people. If your code is ugly to read, that means its less likely to be read, which tends to lead to bad things.

DOX:
// This function
// will
// return
/* an array if
* it succeeds
*/
// and a null
// pointer
// if it does
// not

Programmer 1: Ain't nobody goin' care bout dis, its just whitespace

Programmer 2: Well fuck that shit, I'll just assume it errors if something goes wrong

<0day effecting the entire world>

Programmer 1: I clearly said it would return a null pointer!

Programmer 2: Fuck you, gumby, why would I read that shit

Very extreme example is extreme.

Quote:(09-19-2013, 05:47 AM)w00t Wrote:

No, form is pretty important when you're working with a team of people. If your code is ugly to read, that means its less likely to be read, which tends to lead to bad things.

DOX:
// This function
// will
// return
/* an array if
* it succeeds
*/
// and a null
// pointer
// if it does
// not

Programmer 1: Ain't nobody goin' care bout dis, its just whitespace

Programmer 2: Well fuck that shit, I'll just assume it errors if something goes wrong

<0day effecting the entire world>

Programmer 1: I clearly said it would return a null pointer!

Programmer 2: Fuck you, gumby, why would I read that shit

Very extreme example is extreme.

I never said it wasn't, any good programmer knows form is important or consistency. This doesn't mean that everybody has to use the same form. Look at the difference in the comment "form" he posted compared to what OP posted, that much difference is insignificant. Even so, what is the most important to look at there is the width of the comments, nobody writes a comment with one or two words per line like that. Everything else is preference, as long as it's consistent because the programmer should then know what to look for by seeing other comments in the code. Nobody writes code the same way, so the important thing is consistency; any programmer reading your code won't get caught off guard.

You too, missed the point of what I posted above (even though I thought it was pretty clear).

It was also more directed at the changes he made to the existing comment format OP had been using. Most IDE's have good syntax highlighting anyways along with intellisense that more clearly indicates the intentions of the programmer. Code clarity is still important today, but it was most important back when IDE's were just no better than notepad.

Also, OP never mixed comments like you did, so your extreme example was both not necessary and extremely irrelevant in my opinion. You didn't even mention what was wrong with the comments you had in your example (although implications could be easily made), and you never posted your suggestion on what comments should look like (your opinion). All of you posted the same old look OP did, in variation, while the main thing I see wrong is the width really:

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Depending on the font used, and the length of the words in a line, I would say anywhere from 15-20 words per line is much better. And linespace used to break out key parts of what the comment is trying to describe.

I've even seen comments like this with double stars to keep everything vertically aligned. That is preference though, not any difference in clarity, which is the only important part about "form" as you describe it.

Hidden Content
You must

or

to view this content.

Some of the best programmers just use simple "//"s and some use the multi-line comments normally.

Thanks for this I will be doing this later and let you know how I get one :biggrin: Rated thread 5 stars!

It's a nice guide :biggrin: I think this is the language ill choose to learn from now on :smile:

A nice plus is that you explained the differences between int, double and float, as I never actually understood the guides that was written "formally".