Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 567 Vote(s) - 3.53 Average
C++ Challenge - Hidato

Objective: Write an implementation that solves a Hidato puzzle:

[To see links please register here]

Include:
- Method to read puzzle from file (whatever input format you choose)
- Method(s) to solve the puzzle
- Method to output the result to the console (or file)

*Efficiency is key of course. The solution submitted must be 100% your own code. To make things more specific, the implementation must be held/encapsulated within a class.

I'll be getting to work on this here soon.

I have a question though. Are we going to be working on irregularly shaped puzzles, or just square/rectangular ones?

Quote:(12-23-2013, 11:00 AM)Llebacc Wrote:

I'll be getting to work on this here soon.

I have a question though. Are we going to be working on irregularly shaped puzzles, or just square/rectangular ones?

Although irregularly shaped puzzles are standard and add a level of complexity to this challenge, it really doesn't make things a whole lot more difficult if you know how to think about this in layers. For instance, you could be naive, and have a value of some arbitrary, and unusable number to indicate a block doesn't take up that space for a representation of all squares that are missing in an irregular shape (and make the junk value a special case in your logic), or you could use a dictionary-like container that the STL provides to encapsulate a row, and have an integer paired up with that row that tells you how far over (index-wise) the starting number is from the row with the left-most row's first block's index.

Neat, I didn't know that the STL provided dictionary-like functionality.

No submissions yet from anyone? lol This was why I originally asked if anyone was interested in a challenge.

Quote:(12-26-2013, 03:30 AM)cxS Wrote:

No submissions yet from anyone? lol This was why I originally asked if anyone was interested in a challenge.

Told Aristotle about the challenge. He seemed interested.

That's what the other person said too.

Yeah, Oni told me about this a while ago, but I haven't been on for ages. I don't even know what the hell Hidato is, but I'll look into it. I wouldn't expect a solution soon though, if I even go through with it. I've got to first learn what it is, then attempt to solve it on my own, and if that fails I'll study solutions and/or methods for solving similar problems.

I reckon it wouldn't take too long unless this is some kind of hardcore puzzle... I'm working on something currently so I'll look into it whenever I find some time.