Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 728 Vote(s) - 3.49 Average
Best way to convert strings to symbols in hash

`params.symbolize_keys` will also work. This method turns hash keys into symbols and returns a new hash.

For the specific case of YAML in Ruby, if the keys begin with '`:`', they will be automatically interned as symbols.

<pre>
require 'yaml'
require 'pp'
yaml_str = "
connections:
- host: host1.example.com
port: 10000
- host: host2.example.com
port: 20000
"
yaml_sym = "
:connections:
- :host: host1.example.com
:port: 10000
- :host: host2.example.com
:port: 20000
"
pp yaml_str = YAML.load(yaml_str)
puts yaml_str.keys.first.class
pp yaml_sym = YAML.load(yaml_sym)
puts yaml_sym.keys.first.class
</pre>

Output:
<pre>
# /opt/ruby-1.8.6-p287/bin/ruby ~/test.rb
{"connections"=>
[{"port"=>10000, "host"=>"host1.example.com"},
{"port"=>20000, "host"=>"host2.example.com"}]}
String
{:connections=>
[{:port=>10000, :host=>"host1.example.com"},
{:port=>20000, :host=>"host2.example.com"}]}
Symbol
</pre>

a shorter one-liner fwiw:

my_hash.inject({}){|h,(k,v)| h.merge({ k.to_sym => v}) }

[To see links please register here]

hash = { 'name' => 'Rob', 'age' => '28' }
hash.symbolize_keys
# => { name: "Rob", age: "28" }

This is not exactly a one-liner, but it turns all string keys into symbols, also the nested ones:

def recursive_symbolize_keys(my_hash)
case my_hash
when Hash
Hash[
my_hash.map do |key, value|
[ key.respond_to?(:to_sym) ? key.to_sym : key, recursive_symbolize_keys(value) ]
end
]
when Enumerable
my_hash.map { |value| recursive_symbolize_keys(value) }
else
my_hash
end
end

I like this one-liner, when I'm not using Rails, because then I don't have to make a second hash and hold two sets of data while I'm processing it:

my_hash = { "a" => 1, "b" => "string", "c" => true }

my_hash.keys.each { |key| my_hash[key.to_sym] = my_hash.delete(key) }

my_hash
=> {:a=>1, :b=>"string", :c=>true}

Hash#delete returns the value of the deleted key

# The array we want to change.

strings = ["HTML", "CSS", "JavaScript", "Python", "Ruby"]

# Make a new variable as an empty array so we can ".push" the symbols in.

symbols = [ ]

# Here's where we define a method with a block.

strings.each {|x| symbols.push(x.intern)}
# End of code.

So this is probably the most straightforward way to convert strings to symbols in your array(s) in Ruby. Make an array of strings then make a new variable and set the variable to an empty array. Then select each element in the first array you created with the ".each" method. Then use a block code to ".push" all of the elements in your new array and use ".intern or .to_sym" to convert all the elements to symbols.

Symbols are faster because they save more memory within your code and you can only use them once. Symbols are most commonly used for keys in hash which is great. I'm the not the best ruby programmer but this form of code helped me a lot.If anyone knows a better way please share and you can use this method for hash too!

If you would like vanilla ruby solution and as me do not have access to `ActiveSupport` here is deep symbolize solution (very similar to previous ones)

def deep_convert(element)
return element.collect { |e| deep_convert(e) } if element.is_a?(Array)
return element.inject({}) { |sh,(k,v)| sh[k.to_sym] = deep_convert(v); sh } if element.is_a?(Hash)
element
end

if you're using Rails, it is much simpler - you can use a HashWithIndifferentAccess and access the keys both as String and as Symbols:

my_hash.with_indifferent_access

see also:

------

Or you can use the awesome "Facets of Ruby" Gem, which contains a lot of extensions to Ruby Core and Standard Library classes.

require 'facets'
> {'some' => 'thing', 'foo' => 'bar'}.symbolize_keys
=> {:some=>"thing", :foo=>"bar}

see also:

symbolize_keys recursively for any hash:

class Hash
def symbolize_keys
self.is_a?(Hash) ? Hash[ self.map { |k,v| [k.respond_to?(:to_sym) ? k.to_sym : k, v.is_a?(Hash) ? v.symbolize_keys : v] } ] : self
end
end