Create an account

Very important

• To access the important data of the forums, you must be active in each forum and especially in the leaks and database leaks section, send data and after sending the data and activity, data and important content will be opened and visible for you.
  • You will only see chat messages from people who are at or below your level.
  • More than 500,000 database leaks and millions of account leaks are waiting for you, so access and view with more activity.
  • Many important data are inactive and inaccessible for you, so open them with activity. (This will be done automatically)

Thread Rating:
  • 821 Vote(s) - 3.44 Average
Steins;Gate [Anime Review]

This is a review of the sci-fi thriller anime TV series, Steins;Gate. Note there may be slight spoilers.

[Image: 345002.jpg]

"El Psy Congroo."
Synopsis
From the beginning of the story, we're introduced to a small circle of friends with their unique quirks who have nothing better to do with their time than to create zany inventions while passing the days by. However, one day, the self-proclaimed mad scientist Okabe Rintarou accidentally constructs the impossible while experimenting with his latest invention: a time machine that sends text messages to the past. Ecstatic, Okabe and his growing group of companions eagerly change the past to their whims, but unbeknownst to them, a shady organization closes in on their activities. Meanwhile, Okabe starts to realize the ramifications of changing the past, as he begins to experience love, despair and paranoia, over and over... and over again.

[To see links please register here]

Characters
When I say each character has their own unique quirks, I really mean it. Each character emphasizes a certain personality trait that's very noticeable from the get-go. I found a good portion to be entertaining and comedic, like a certain super hacker, or a scientist who tries (and fails) to hide their knowledge of internet culture. However, others were a bit bland and rehashed, with nothing that really stood them out from other stereotypes. What's nice is that in 24 episodes, they manage to actually give backstory for most (repeat: most) characters on why they act that way, or how they were influenced; they act that way for a reason. Okabe is the selling point here: you'll laugh at his antics, you'll empathize with his situations, you'll drop into despair when he does. Most of the character development, while it does unfold with other characters, you'll see with him and his assistant as the major factor.

Animation/Art
I really didn't take notice of the art, as it didn't seem particularly unique, nor distinguishably horrible. That's not to say it's mediocre; what stuck with me the most were the expressions that each character displayed to show their reactions and emotions. When someone cried, you could almost tear up, too; when they were conflicted, you didn't even need dialogue because their thoughts showed on their face. I do wish they kept closer to the VN roots as far as artwork, but I'm particularly happy with what they've done.

Sound/Music
Another reason I'm infatuated with this series. While each voice actor did an absolutely commendable job on each of their characters, Okabe's seiyuu takes center stage for having that memorable, maniacal laughter that'll be ringing in your heads every time you hear mention of his name. The dub is done quite well, too, but doesn't really quite catch the original feeling of each character. The opening and ending songs were extremely catchy as well, and by the time you're done watching, you'll definitely have the haunting melody of a certain track inside your head for quite a while.

Ending
Special mention to the conclusion, because I haven't been this giddy about the finale of an anime in quite a while. I'm usually left with a bittersweet ending when it comes to most, since I feel like they could have done a bit more with this, a bit less of that, or there's one or two loose ends. Not in here. I won't spoil anything, of course, but there's absolutely no loose ends, and it feels like you've gotten the ending you - and the characters - deserve.

Overall
An enticing story, a memorable soundtrack and a distinctive cast makes this sci-fi thriller stand out from the rest.

9/10

"Dr. Pepper - the intellectual drink for the chosen ones."

Thanks for that extensive review @MiS When I first heard of Steins;Gate and there was a crazy scientist, I immediately thought of Professor Stein from Soul Eater. He was crazy as fuck, but honestly my fave character. I hope to watch this anime soon, within the next week. Thanks again MiS.

Thanks for that extensive review @MiS When I first heard of Steins;Gate and there was a crazy scientist, I immediately thought of Professor Stein from Soul Eater. He was crazy as fuck, but honestly my fave character. I hope to watch this anime soon, within the next week. Thanks again MiS.

@Losimantom No problem. I highly suggest you do - and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it afterwards.

@Losimantom No problem. I highly suggest you do - and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it afterwards.

Very nice review! I was wondering, would you like this posted in the Anime/Manga review archive or no?

Very nice review! I was wondering, would you like this posted in the Anime/Manga review archive or no?

Quote:(05-28-2014, 02:21 AM)Atmosphere Wrote:

Thank you! And sure, I wouldn't mind.

Quote:(05-28-2014, 02:21 AM)Atmosphere Wrote:

Thank you! And sure, I wouldn't mind.